How to winterize rosin has been a topic of interest by a lot of cannabis extract enthusiasts. There’s a limited amount of information out there in terms of DIY. A video by John Brown, a WeedTuber, breaks it down to a few easy steps.
Below check out the video guide from John, and keep reading to see everything written out step by step.
What is Winterization?
Why Winterize Rosin
Why Not to Winterize Rosin
Tools Needed for Rosin Winterization
- Dab tools
- 2 – 3 Beakers
- Hot Plate
- Food-grade Alcohol
How to Prep for Rosin Winterization
- To begin winterizing rosin place rosin into a beaker or shot glass. Using a heated flat or spiked tool tip to handle the rosin proves to be easier.
- Put alcohol into the beaker with a 1:10 rosin to alcohol ratio and place on heat source. Note: Everclear is a food-grade alcohol is used in the video as it has a more neutral flavor.
- Set your heat source to low then place your beaker on it. Stir the rosin mixture well to let the alcohol remove the remaining clumps of rosin.
- Once the mixture turns into a bright shade of amber you will see how the fats and waxes have separated from the rosin.
- After the separation place the alcohol solution into your freezer for fourteen (14) hours. Then remove from freezer. You should see the fat, wax, and lipids have fully separated from your rosin and settled at the bottom of you beaker.
How to Filter for Winterized Rosin
- Take a syringe and carefully pull the alcohol until the beaker is empty. Using two or three syringes makes the work easier because you’ll need to sift the fat and waxes from making it too difficult to push through micron filters in the next step.
- Replace the needle points with .22 Micron Filters. After the filter is secured, gently push the rosin through the filters and into a clean beaker.
- Once you’ve pushed all your rosin through, the process of rosin winterization is complete.
Safety Note: Make sure you have proper ventilation evaporating the alcohol.
How to Further Refine Winterized Rosin
Further refining your winterized rosin is best for dabbing or filling in a vape cartridge is possible.
- Place your filtered rosin onto a heat source at a low temperature, stir continuously. This process could take a couple of hours and using an automated stirrer is advised. Stirring is important to keep your rosin from burning and speed up the the refining process.
- Place a larger beaker over your rosin-filled beaker and raise the temperature of your heat source to medium-high heat (95 degrees Celsius/ 203 Fahrenheit should suffice).
- Let it sit for about two hours. After this step, your rosin will be the purest you could get it without the need for a vacuum.
Our extraction series continues…
Check out our site for updates on our series covering cannabis extraction. Weekly we will be adding more information to our how to guide related to extracts.
Questions or comments? Post below or in our forum!